Broccoli Cheddar Quiche
Easy Broccoli Cheddar Quiche Recipe
This easy broccoli cheddar quiche is terrifically scrumptious. No matter what time you serve it, either for brunch or dinner, it’s really deserving every single calorie. If you would like to play around with the veggies, such mushrooms, asparagus, spinach, you have all the freedom to do so, and of course, cook and season the veggies before adding them, as always.
- 1 pie crust
- All-purpose flour, for rolling
- 4 yellow onions, sliced
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) salted butter
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 8 oz cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
- In a large bowl. mix the flour with a pastry cutter and gradually work the shortening and butter into the flour, 3 to 4 minutes, until it resembles a coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and pour them into the flour mixture.
- Add the cold water, white vinegar, and salt.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Form two evenly sized balls from the dough then place each one into a gallon food storage bag.
- Lightly flatten each ball of dough using a rolling pin (around half an inch high or so) in order to make rolling more comfortable later.
- Seal the bags and place them in the fridge until needed. Even if you are going to use them right away, it's still advisable to keep them placed in the freezer for a few minutes to cool.)
- Once the dough is ready to make a crust, take it out from the fridge and allow it to rest until it gets to the room temperature.
- 1. In a large skillet, fry the onion with butter over medium-low heat, mixing occasionally until they are deep golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes or so.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF200C.
- Bring to a boil a pot of generously salted water.
- Put the broccoli in the boiling water for a few minutes minute.
- Remove it from the water to drain.
- Straighten the crust with some flour and press it into a thick ridged pan with a detachable bottom (or a deep-dish pie pan).
- Place the onion on the top of the crust, then put the broccoli on top of the onions.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on the crust as well.
- In a large bowl, whip the milk and eggs with some salt and pepper, then pour it into the crust.
- Sprinkle the chives on top.
- Place the pan on a rimmed baking sheet, cover lightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and keep baking until the broccoli quiche is set and the crust turns golden brown, another 10 minutes.
- Let the quiche sit for a few minutes, then remove it from the pan, if using so.
- Cut into slices with a sharp serrated knife and serve.